return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Need help in what to feed elderly ca

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: quill at Wed Feb 24 12:17:21 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by quill ]  

Thank you for your reply. A question or two. If I am only to provide him with what he wants to eat, how do I know what he wants to eat except by making everything I may think he wants to eat available. How do I know he wanted pizza? When I provided a bit of the cheese and sauce he acted as though he had a sore stomach and didn't want to eat for the rest of the day. He wanted olive oil, of all things a couple of days later, he ate it and then today he doesn't want to eat when, following your suggestion I stopped deciding the healthy things he should be eating and when, and just some meat choices in front of him, and he started eating on his own.I followed it up with yogurt and the fatty acids. He ate different times during the day a little raw liver, some cooked beef roast, some cooked chicken. Following that I gave him what he wanted to eat. He smelled the pizza and was ravenous for some, I gave him only the easily digestible portions, no onion ,etc, and after that,he acted as though he had a sore stomach and didn't want to eat. After the olive oil, the same thing. Yet I gave him what he wanted. Is olive oil hard on any of the organs? If one is to increase the fat if decreasing the protein is that hard on aged organs, ie, the kidneys,etc? Leaving it up to the wisdom of the body, if a pet doesn't eat how long does one leave it at that before there's the risk of fatty liver disease? As for fish, is that not to be regulated too. If allowed, he would eat nothing but that because of the scent. I read somewhere where too much fish leads to an imbalance in the B vitamins because fish has too much, I think it's Vitamin B2. By allowing my cat to eat what(from what I'm able to provide thinking he may want to eat it, who knows if there's others things I don't know of) he wants and when he wants he seems to be eating more meat than his system can handle and some things that may be hard to digest. So, at this point, do I step in and limit the choices? I'm kind of in the middle of changing from one system of feeding to another so there are alot of unknowns and I'm seeing results from the change in the way I'm feeding that I don't know exactly how to proceed with. You input would be appreciated. Thank you.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Need help in what to feed elderly ca - PHDrTobin, Thu Feb 25 12:58:02 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Need help in what to feed elderly ca - PHDrTobin, Wed Feb 24 10:41:10 2010