return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

brain damage after surgery???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ThreeCalicos at Fri Feb 18 09:38:36 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ThreeCalicos ]  

Asking here since no activity on general health board and am sorry it's so long.......My 13 year old cat had surgery Feb 1 to remove a polyp from one ear. (Had taken her in when balance issues arose. ) Other ear had lots of wax (perpetual problem with her over the years, usually handled with Otomax) so vet removed that wax plug, cleaned it out, and found the eardrum had a small perforation. She had had antibiotics there and came home with Baytril pills.

She was better at first although seemed confused but now balance is off again. Eardrum is healed but cloudy which vet says indicates infection still there. She's refusing food and seems to have lost eating instincts or knowledge of how to pick it up or chew. Sometimes she seems hungry but then just looks at the food. She always ate dry food. Have tried various cans and shredded types as well as cooked chicken and hamburger. If she eats any, it's the shredded catfood because we hold it up to her mouth but then she still seems unsure of what to do with it and sometimes it just hangs from her mouth. Mostly she licks the oil off it. I even tried soaking a little piece of cloth to see if she would suck on that but she seems to not want anything in her mouth.

Jaw does work right since opens wide to "yell" when not wanting to take pill and vet found no obstructions. Also, purr sounds and meowing are very hoarse although lungs are clear. Assume that's some result of the tubing during surgery. She does occasionally lap water.

I'm concerned she has some sort of brain damage although have not specifically asked that. I think vet is going to suggest another surgery to do some sort of drain in ear but he also seems puzzled about some of the behaviors. He has call in to teaching hospital for ideas but I know there are many good minds who read this board so am hoping for other suggestions or thoughts.
Thank you for your time and ideas.
-----
Jeopardy, Octavia and Medley...
remembering Catiya whose pale sea green eyes wink from the bridge 12-10

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: brain damage after surgery??? - PHDrTobin, Sat Feb 19 12:26:32 2011