return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Aggression?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: melgrj7 at Mon Oct 10 18:49:38 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by melgrj7 ]  

Hi, I have 2 cats, Snickers an 11 year old tortie who is in great shape and a medium haired tuxedo, Jake, who is about 7 or 8 months old now. They are fed canned food and are being switched over to raw. They have 2 cat trees, 2 litter boxes, 2 cat beds (plus dog beds, my bed and so on), tons of toys. I take Jake for little outings almost every day and play one on one with each of them twice a day for 10-20 minutes each time with those toys on string. Snickers recently had a full blood work up done and is in excellent health. They are both fixed.

The problem: Jake is constantly jumping on Snickers, tackling her, biting her scruff, mounting her. He goes after her when its time to eat. It initially started out as play for sure, but now I'm not so sure it isn't just aggression. Or heading that way anyway. Snickers hisses and smacks him when he does this, or tries to get away if she can. He is now a little bigger than her. I try to redirect him when I see him about to pounce on her, and that was helping for awhile, but it seems to be getting worse again. I got a feliway plug in and put that near the cat tree they both spend most of their time (by the window). That doesn't really seem to be helping much.

Is there anything I can do to help stop this? Will it stop when Jake grows up? Snickers is older and doesn't need to be getting tackled when she tries to walk across the room. When he was little they used to cuddle and she would groom him and attempt to carry him even. Now if he goes near her at all she hisses. He does not draw any blood, he seems to have decent bite inhibition.

Help?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereAggression? - melgrj7, Mon Oct 10 18:49:38 2011

>> Next topic:  aggression? - melgrj7, Mon Oct 10 19:05:18 2011
<< Previous topic:  Finally-something new - pmantone, Sat Sep 24 17:03:51 2011