return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Trying to find the link

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: quill at Sat Oct 29 15:08:17 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by quill ]  

Hi, I hope you have read the FOLLOW-UP below this thread that I posted in reply to previous thread I posted in September concerning my cat - trying to determine the cause of the croupiness, wheezing, etc. I thought the answer was asthma, and it may still be, but there was fluid build-up in September and again yesterday, I took my cat to the vet and there was fluid build-up again.

I think there is a connection between the respiratory infection my cat got in September with the asthma symptoms and
the fluid build-up around the lungs.The first time he got fluid build-up it was after he caught a cold that lasted about 2 weeks.And the second time there was fluid build-up was also after a respiratory infection. My concern, and I've tried to explain this to the vet to no avail is that I think we might be using steroids to suppress the inflammation, croupiness, wheezing, etc, all the symptoms when, if the source of those symptoms was corrected the source may not be inflammation at all but infection.

I don't know if I'm reasoning this correctly, but from what I researched, a respiratory infection, if gone on long enough, can trigger asthma, and a lung infection, whether or not directly or indirectly the result of a respiratory infection,can be the result of microorganisms that, if not
killed by antibiotics, can create fluid build-up around the lungs.The other thing is, ever since he was a kitten, he was always a bit croupy, just in the chest, kind of a rumbling. It wasn't severe enough to require medication and if he caught a cold antibiotics got rid of it quickly....until in August he went out and slept on a window seat I had that's outside a bedroom window. I didn't realize it, but the cushion was wet from rain dripping in, and it was cool out, and after that he caught a bad cold, and after that these asthma symptoms started. I think that started a chest infection and possibly a lung infection which could have turned into asthma. I pointed this out to the vet ... again to no avail.

Would an analysis of the fluid show the presence of these microoganisms(if there are any) that could be causing the fluid build-up? What else does the analysis show? According to my vet, the analysis would be a waste of time but I don't think so.Each time the fluid was drained it was too late in the day, according to the vet, to have it sent to the lab in another city, so I need to know now what the analysis could show that would narrow down the causes of the fluid build-up.

In all other respects my cat is in good health/ He's currently on Flovent 250 mcg- 2 puffs twice a day, along with Prednisolone, 5mg on an as needed basis. Up until yesterday, he was doing very well on it. No croupiness at all, no wheezing. Good appetite. And even today,after the fluid was drained, everything is back to normal. If it was FIP or leukemia as the vet says(based solely on the fluid build-up) would Flovent be able to suppress all symptoms? What he is getting now is for asthma and there are no symptoms at all. The concern is the fluid build-up and I have to find an answer to that. I can't keep taking the vet's stop-gap measure of draining the fluid over and over without finding out what's causing it.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Trying to find the link - quill, Sun Oct 30 06:43:19 2011