return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Does anyone breed tri colored

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Rextiles at Wed Sep 16 21:07:01 2015  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Rextiles ]  

I used to breed Tri-Colors/South Americans 8 years ago. They are a beautiful and unique snake but they are a completely different species than the North American Westerns and Easterns.

The reason why you don't see too many these days, or ever, is because they require much different husbandry than Westerns do and can be quite difficult to establish as hatchlings in regards to getting them to eat f/t mice. But then again, what we knew 8 years ago pales to what we know now, so perhaps better techniques might vanquish the earlier problems. However, they most prefer to spend their time buried lying in wait as an underground ambush predator, so you really don't see them as much as you do Westerns either. They also like it much cooler with more humidity.

And of course there really are no morphs, so most of the morph-crazy people that are into the Westerns solely for the means of making money really don't have that much interest in the South Americans as there's just no real money to be made. Having said that though, they are a cool species and I still have a pair that I produced all those years ago. Maybe one day I might think about breeding them again.
-----
Troy Rexroth
Rextiles

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Does anyone breed tri colored - travistodd91, Sat Sep 12 17:47:54 2015