return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Idea for natural brumation habitat(long)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: steeve111 at Mon Jan 18 00:23:48 2016  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by steeve111 ]  

FR, I will answer you one more time. Everything I have stated is correct as far as I know. You probably live in a house that is well insulated...I do not. Mobile homes have thin walls (they are trailers). I lost my AC/heat system this summer, when we were getting a string of days over 115 degrees. I recorded a temp of 143 degrees at the thermometer mounted on the side of the building one day. That's when I ordered/installed the window air in my bedroom window. It was rated for a room more than twice the size of my bedroom, but just manages to keep the temp down to 81 degrees running full blast on a hot day. I moved the snakes into that room to keep them alive, so I wouldn't have to keep putting frozen jugs of water in the tanks. Now it is winter, with several sub-freezing nights so far. I can see the frost coming out of my mouth, inside the trailer sometimes, so I use a small electric heater in the bedroom only, to save on electricity.....my electric bill last month was still 80$. You are probably right about one thing; This is not a good situation for keeping snakes. I could spend the 8,000$ that the AC guy quoted me for replacing my system, but I am too cheap. I already mentioned here,(twice), that I do not want to build a snake room, meaning an out building that is well insulated, like brick or cinder block, then add heat and AC; I don't want to spend that kind of money just to keep snakes. If the under ground system that I proposed does not work, I will get out of the hobby; It will be too expensive, considering it is the least of many hobbies that I spend my time and money on. If the system I described does work, keeps the snakes healthy and happy and saves me the time/trouble of maintaining the tanks, I will post it here, with pictures, for everyone's benefit. (except yours, of course, who I am convinced will never accept the idea, no matter how well it works out). Cheers

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  A favorite from last year! - Denbar, Sat Mar 19 14:38:11 2016
<< Previous topic:  Ultra Granite Mex Mex - flystreamx, Fri Dec 25 17:51:49 2015