return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Need Terrarium Door Design

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: markg at Mon Mar 7 18:50:51 2016  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by markg ]  

I did not see a pic (I think you mentioned this..).

Ball pythons are very secretive, and an 8ft cage is largely wasted on them. An 8ft cage is more for an adult boa constrictor or perhaps for something that is a very alert terrestrial snake that needs roaming room. Ball pythons are happy in say a 3ft x 2ft cage max. They do not move around much, that is their nature. Sorry!

I would say divide that cage in half and house 2 snakes. This would also make doors easier for you. Read on.

For an 8ft cage, you would need to go with 2 doors, both drop-down style with hinges on the bottom and a vertical center piece dividing the doors providing rigidity to the cage shell.

Go to boaphileplastics.com and look at his 6ft cages with 2 drop-down doors to see what I am speaking of.

Slide doors are great if you have limited space in front of the cage or you are dealing with venomous snakes. Otherwise, drop down doors give better access.

By now you probably already built the cage.

I used to build my own cages from wood. After many years, I now buy plastic cages. Even though I enjoy the build and prefer my taylored designs, I have to say, keeping snakes in plastic cages makes cage cleaning easier and cages lighter in weight. Water spills are of no concern. If you ever see mites, plastic caging allows for quick eradication.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Need Terrarium Door Design - magusbuckley, Sun Feb 7 22:25:24 2016