return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Brown "Colombian" Rainbow Origins?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Ameron at Mon Jun 13 16:47:12 2016  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ameron ]  

Colombians? Really? Glance at the range map, however, and you discover that they are found in at least ten nations:

Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Guiana, Suriname, French Guiana, Brazil.

Does anyone else besides me see the folly of naming ANY species after political boundaries into which they do not fit?

As usual, information available on the Internet about this species is VERY sparse. Much information that I found was incorrect, and some information, especially Care Sheets, has simply been copied almost verbatim from site to site.

(As with so many other topics, when no one takes the time to research & verify, instead simply trusting blindly and copying from a prior source.)

I realize that there are three powerful truths about "Colombians":

1. They are not from wet tropical forests. They are from dry tropical forests and drier coastal regions.
2. They don't require as much humidity as the other, southern species.
3. They are not known to intergrade with any other subspecies (unlike Brazilians).

When I was researching mine, worried about providing the proper humidity, I quickly learned that the prior owner had taken no special precautions whatsoever. He kept the snake in a rack, with dry bedding, only occasionally misting the enclosure. The snake was with him for at least two years, and grew into a healthy, bulky adult.

I"m most curious about where original breeding stock came from, since the source may or may NOT have been Columbia. Knowing modern reptile dealers and the high incidents of poached animals, the origin for most specimens in the United States may just as easily have been Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Venezuela, Guiana, Suriname or a province in Brazil.

When I crossed over to Brazilian Rainbow Boa websites, they often repeated the same very interesting claim: "They were imported in high numbers during the 1980s and 1990s from Suriname". (There were NOT imported from Brazil - so why are they not called Suriname Rainbow Boas in the trade?)

If any dealers or hard-core herpers out there have any insight into the likely origins of Browns, please reply.

1.0 Florida Kingsnake
0.1 Sonoran Desert Boa ("Mexican" Rosy Boa)
1.0 Brown Rainbow Boa ("Colombian" Rainbow Boa)

1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0 Three-toed Box Turtle

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]