return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Large Desert kingsnake acting sick?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: TormentFaktory at Tue Sep 13 16:36:47 2016  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by TormentFaktory ]  

Greetings! I was directed to this forum by a friend who told me I might be able to get some advise regarding a rather large Desert Kingsnake I adopted last March. He's a big male who was being cared for by a young lady who I'm afraid I have no idea what her knowledge base was, only that she was keeping him in a 20 gallon tank and feeding him 1 thawed mouse a week. I have a moderate background knowledge with snakes and Lampropeltis's in particular, and when I first saw this guy it was very apparent that given his size, one mouse a week wasn't going to be enough to keep this guy happy. Immediately after adopting him I upped his diet to 2 live mice about every 4-6 days depending on his activity, and moved him into a 55 gal tank. He shed for me in May, and is currently about to shed again, but he seems very lethargic compared to last time. Another odd thing is that while most healthy snakes will tend to keep their heads level and "alert", he seems to not be holding his head level when stationary, allowing it to appear as if it's resting on the ground, almost appearing to be dead. As large as he is for a desert king, I suppose it's possible that he's reaching the end of his days from old age, but again, I have only a moderate level of kingsnake knowledge, an frankly he could be just fine, and I'm worrying about nothing. He doesn't show any respiratory disress symptoms (frequent yawning, wheezing, etc..) and when I pick him up he seems like he's still pretty strong and muscular. Just really don't remember seeing him do the "resting his head one the ground" thing before. Anyone have any input on this?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  MBK Temperatures - James_RT, Sun Sep 18 00:05:19 2016
<< Previous topic:  Thayeri clutch - ssshane, Tue Jul 19 10:10:26 2016