return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Help with wild king snake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: greenmyrtle at Sat Dec 3 03:14:22 2016  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by greenmyrtle ]  

I am in Southwest Oregon. A few days ago, on a cold afternoon,I found a baby king snake. out in the open behind the house (maybe 12 inches long, half an inch across). I watched it for a few hours but it was too cold for it to have any movement. I knew the sun would reach that point later in the afternoon so Ileft it be and waited and waited. A small amount of sun filtered through in the very late afternoon, it was about 52F, and just enough for the snake to start moving excruciatingly slowly - snail's pace - and it was getting close to sundown. I Decided, due to roaming cats and chickens, and snake not having enough time to get back to where it needed to go before it cooled down again, I to put it in a small cardboard box over night with some cotton fabric to nestle in,and planned to set it out next day same place so it could try again. Kept the box outside so would not warmup in the house. Next day was even cloudier and colder, and since then the days and nights have been very cold down to 36 last night. So I have kept it in the box outside but insulated. The next few days until Tuesday will be a bit warmer; afternoon temperature around 50 nighttime 40-45, then freezing predicted for Tuesday night. I want to get this snake back into the wild safely. I don't mind it hibernating under our cabin, but it may not be safe from freezing temperatures there, not sure I should bring it up to temperature so that I can put it back on the spot I found it and hope it slithers to a good spot. Maybe it was out in the cold because it did not have a good spot? What kind of habitat should I release it to? (I'm on the edge of woods, with plenty of rocks and forest Duff around - but that is not where I found it). Should I create some kind of hibernation box for it given how late it is in the season for burrowing a hole? Ideas? Thanks in advance

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Help with wild king snake - markg, Fri Feb 3 14:16:57 2017