return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Feeding 3 yo BRB

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rainbow Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: boavida27 at Tue Jan 3 19:17:26 2017  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boavida27 ]  

Hello!

I have a 3 and a half year old BRB that I got from a nice young couple off Craig's List 5 months ago. They purchased her from a breeder when she was a month old. She didn't come with much info, but seemed very healthy and nice so she came to live with me. This is my first snake, first reptile actually.

They told me she was eating one F/T weanling rat every 2-3 weeks. So I bought weanlings and she ate one that night rather quickly so I offered her another which she ate eagerly. 10 days later I offered her 2 more and she ate them quickly, no noticeable lumps after eating so I moved up to small rats after that second feeding. She is currently getting one small rat, 50-65g, every 10 to 14 days. She was 483g when I brought her home (5 months ago) and is 689g today. So obviously she is gaining weight and not starving.

I look at the pictures on this forum of the beautiful BRBs and it seems like all the experts have snakes that are thicker and bulkier then mine.

I can't seem to find any reference on how much she should weigh, how much she should eat, how often she should eat...

I know the go to rule is that her meal should be no bigger around the widest part of her body. But this seems very arbitrary to me and doesn't cover how often I should feed. Is there a formula for feeding based on weight? I've read that you can offer food and if they don't eat then it isn't time yet. That seems like a waste of defrosted rodent and what if she just keeps eating and gets fat? I've read that some snakes do that.

I want her to be healthy and fed correctly but not over fed. Any thoughts would be very welcome!

And where are the instructions for posting pictures on these messages? I wanted to include some photos of her back and sides to see if anyone thought she looked too skinny but I'm at a loss for how to actually do that!

Thank you!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Feeding 3 yo BRB - boavida27, Tue Jan 3 19:30:25 2017 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Feeding 3 yo BRB - boavida27, Tue Jan 3 19:32:10 2017 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Feeding 3 yo BRB - natsamjosh, Wed Jan 11 11:03:25 2017