return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hello Everyone.. Meet some Rescues!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: O_S at Sat Dec 13 00:17:45 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by O_S ]  

Where is all this hostility coming from? Not all of us can turn to rescue/adoption full time.

--No hostility here... I'm just asking people to state what they are truly doing. Some people have a difficult time with the truth.

"Breed rescues" fullful a needed roll in the comunity.

I disagree, respectfully. "Breed rescues" fullfil a person's dream to "save" every animal of their particular liking, and ignore the rest.

"I pull turtles from a local shelter - their chances of adoption at the shelter would be slim to none if they weren't pulled by a reptile society. Some of them are victims of abuse, abandoment, appartment evictions, owner death, hoarder cases, ect. What is wrong with pulling from shelters? They often can't spot respiratory problems or other illnesses in reptiles. Would you feel better if this group called themselves "adoptions" instead?"

Like I said... Just asking people to call it what it is. Where exactly was the "rescue"? What did you rescue? What is the desire to make yourself look like a super hero?

What do you consider a "true" rescue?

Actually, like I said earlier - I despise the word rescue. There are a few categories I see fit.

1. Owner drops off animal. This is called an "owner surrender".
2. Rescue group takes posession of animal from humane society or animal control. This is called a "transfer".
3. Individual finds reptile wandering through their neighborhood, and drops it off at a rescue. This is called a "stray".

I understand if you do not like my opinion. But that's all it is - an opinion. I believe we are still entitled to that... And when it comes to the world of shelters, rescues, etc... I have some pretty strong opinions. Take it with a grain of salt, and ignore it if you don't like it.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hello Everyone.. Meet some Rescues!! - Katrina, Sun Dec 14 22:49:44 2003

<< Previous Message:  RE: Hello Everyone.. Meet some Rescues!! - Katrina, Wed Dec 10 06:40:37 2003