return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Need help/advice with adoped Plated.............Please!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Plated Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Matt Campbell at Wed Aug 4 22:58:55 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Matt Campbell ]  

A Sudan Plated Lizard - if it is Gerrhosaurus major and not some other species mistakenly identified - is small at only 8 inches total length. In that case it would still be a juvenile and is likely to be more easily stressed. I have never been fond of aquaria for housing reptiles and that could be a contributing stress factor as well. You might make sure the tank is in a low-traffic area and maybe even cover the sides and back with newspaper. As far as foods go I would continue offering live food daily in a bowl and leave the animal alone to eat. Also I would try to offer fragrant fruits such as strawberries, bananas, kiwi, etc. You can also try canned dog food and try offering fresh greens and vegetables. There is one prepared food that my Gerrhosaurids all eat without complaint - Ectotherm Yummies. I think the name is pretty lame as far as marketing goes, but I've used several of their foods and my Plateds as well as Box Turtles, Blue Tongue Skink, and Ctenosaur all will eat it. Foods I use now and that are taken readily are Ectotherm Iguana, Forest Tortoise, and Bearded Dragon. If all of these suggestions fail to help then before you go to tube feeding I would suggest using smashed insects such as superworms or wax worms offered on long tweezers. Rub the guts of the smashed worms around the mouth of lizard to get it to lick it's mouth and hopefully induce a feeding response. Hope this helps.
-----
Matt Campbell
Animal Keeper, Small Mammal/Reptile House
Lincoln Park Zoo Chicago, Illinois

Assistant Curator
Wildlife Discovery Center at Elawa Farm
Lake Forest, Illinois

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Need help/advice with adoped Plated.............Please! - WEZ, Wed Aug 4 02:36:45 2004