return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Okay, I'll bite again....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomoid ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RobertPreston at Tue Nov 30 08:47:05 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RobertPreston ]  

Been away from a computer for a few days. Just got back on the forum. Good post, and good points indeed. I don't have much to say in response except that I would feel much safer using a venomoid snake in an educational show. Even the best and most qualified handlers get bitten, and when you're in front of an audience, anything can happen. I always think about the what-ifs, and stranger things have happened than a spectator (or handler) getting bitten during a snake show. I agree that these things should not happen, but sometimes they do.

As to the long term health of the animal, that is a concern as well. I'm not sure there is any real evidence yet as to how well venomoids do over the long haul when given proper care and when the surgery is performed correctly and with the appropriate post-op attention. If what I have read is accurate, many venomoids do just fine and are able to digest their food with no problems over many, many years. On the other hand, I also realize that many snakes die during the procedure or shortly thereafter or are permanently disfigured. I find that deplorable and non-veterinarians who are performing these procedures should be prosecuted.

I understand why people are opposed to venomoids. But in some cases, and it just may be personal preference, I have no problems with venomoids -- as long as the procedure is done correctly. In my opinion, that is the number one concern. If the snakes are going to be altered (just like with any animal), I think it should be done in such a way as to make the procedure as pain free as possible.

RP

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Okay, I'll bite again.... - TJP, Fri Nov 26 11:48:26 2004