return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Gaboon

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomoid ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cwgw1 at Fri Dec 10 01:15:16 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cwgw1 ]  

hey bro. i've 1.1 CB '00 WA Gaboons. They're both venomoids. Here's my take on the issue. I'm 21, and have been keeping snakes for years, since I was about 13. I've had everything from cbb boas and ball pythons to WC cottons, copperheads, and mocassins (sp?). I don't have any fear of venemous animals, but theres a few reasons why I no longer keep them. #1: Liability. The "what-if" is too big of an issue for me. I have people at my house constantly, most of whom know little or nothing about snakes. IF for some reason, one of my gaboons got out, I wouldn't have to worry about someone getting bit and potentially dying. I've been sued before, it's not fun. #2: The main issue with gaboons is the way they strike. They hit EXTREMELY hard, fast, and with precision accuracy. Most gaboon-keepers will tell you that they have never seen their gabbie miss it's target, and I can second that. #3: It's practice. You've kept rattlers before, so in all honesty I see no reason for you NOT to keep hot gaboons, except its the one compromise your girl has to your getting the snake. You're obviously qualified to handle hot gaboons, but because of your circumstances you're choosing not too.

However, I will say this. Venomoid Gaboons more often than not, DO suffer from head shrinkage after the surgery. There are some examples (like my male gabbie) whose head(s) are fine. And then there are those like my female whose head is a bit shrunken in. As unfortunate as it is, it keeps me sleeping at night knowing that there are not two snakes in my house that could kill me if they got lose.

As far as the fangs go, you're absolutely right. They DO have HUGE fangs, and they WILL inflict damage. Just because the snake has no venom does not mean that a bite will not cause serious injury. I still handle my gabbies with full gloves and hooks, or tongs if they're in a particulary bad mood. I take no chances when it comes to snakes like this, in my opinion, it is always better to be safe than sorry with an animal like this.

Hope this helps with your decision bro. If you have any more questions, send me a message.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Actually that does help, thank you. N/P - phreak, Fri Dec 10 10:17:17 2004

<< Previous Message:  Gaboon - phreak, Thu Dec 9 23:13:21 2004