return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Looking for colleges...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Books & Literature ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: arizonaeric at Tue Mar 15 18:15:57 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by arizonaeric ]  

Hi Ryan-
This question is asked here frequently, and that may be the reason that others aren't jumping to answer your specific questions. You should probaly scroll down to some of the other posts and the answers contained therein, as most of what you have asked is answered there. However, I'll take a stab at it here as well.

Herpetology is a large field, and should be considered a subset of biology. All herpetologists are biologists (at least the academically trained ones are), thus any university that has a great biology/ecology/zoology/natural resources program should start you on your way. However, you generally don't start specializing in herpetological studies until you're a graduate student when you design and undertake a study of some target herp or assemblage of herps with one or more specific questions in mind. What you can do as an undergraduate, however, is go to a school with one or more active research herpetologists. Take the classes they teach (which may or may not include a herpetology class), and make sure to volunteer on studies when they ask for volunteers. Help thier graduate students and apply yourself to ALL your classes (even mundane chemistry, physics, philosophy, sociology, etc. classes). In other words, work hard! You will be noticed as someone who applies themselves, who can "jump through the hoops," and who can be counted on. That will open up many options for you in due time, and that is the largest part of the struggle, I think.

Regarding SPECIFIC schools, many people in posts below have made many useful suggestions. To that, I would add that maybe you should chose a region in which you would want to gather experience. Want to learn about Floridian herps? Check out the Florida schools. Want to work in the southwest? Check out Arizonan schools. Visit webpages for professors at those universities, do Google searches for "Florida herpetology" or "Arizona herpetology," and, as you start narrowing down choices, contact graduate students in the departments that you're considering. Most grad students will be more than willing to talk to someone that is considering attending thier school and that may be available as a volunteer.

Here in Arizona there are three universities and all have good bio programs and enthusiastic herpetologists. Here at the University of Arizona in Tucson, there are 2 routes to take to pursue herp related work. There's the evolutionary ecology route, which tends to focus on theoretical issues involving herps, and the natural resources route, which focuses on more applied herp-related issues (i.e. fieldwork and conservation related problems) however, there is much "cross-pollination" between departments. Many of the schools you will consider may have a similar set-up. Anyway, I hope this helps. Browse the other threads and feel free to contact me with questions-
Sincerely-
Eric

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Looking for colleges... - LvntheLife, Mon Apr 9 20:38:47 2007

<< Previous Message:  Looking for colleges... - RyanDonnelly, Sun Mar 13 11:39:46 2005