return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: how to sex a sudan plated

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Plated Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Matt Campbell at Mon Apr 4 10:25:54 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Matt Campbell ]  

That's great that you've gotten your Plated treated and it and your other animals are clean. If you can find a mate though, I would still suggest housing them separately. They are fairly solitary. They will tolerate another Plated Lizard of the opposite sex, but will seldom use the same location to bask or hide. Also, males can relentless in pursuing females when they first meet. Also, females will vigorously bite back at the males to defend themselves from unwanted attention.

If housed together, they need to be separated for feeding or they need to be individually tong-fed. Even with tong-feeding they routinely bite each other while attempting to steal food if housed together. The only Plated Lizards that can typically be kept together with out much aggression are the G. flavivulgaris , and G. validus . I've found keeping my Plateds separate works the best.

I built a special cage with a removable divider. I introduced them into the cage with an opaque divider to begin with, then followed that up with a clear divider for a while. I usually remove the clear divider in about late February or early March. I allow them to be together for about two weeks or so, then I separate them. I've seen copulation every time, but usually once there's been one instance of copulation that's it. The female wants nothing to do with the male and he can't get anywhere near her.

So far I've not had any success with the eggs I've gotten over the last three years. Two years the eggs were desiccated before I found them. The third year I had three great eggs, but two got too wet in the first week and spoiled and the other was fertile but had excess humidity issues as well and it didn't make it the full distance. They tend to need very high ambient humidity early in the incubation, tapering off towards the end.

Anyway, that should be enough for you to chew on for a while. Post on here and let me know if you were able to find a mate. Feel free to email me if you need help designing a breeding cage or with any other aspect of breeding or housing.
-----
Matt Campbell
Animal Keeper, Small Mammal/Reptile House
Lincoln Park Zoo Chicago, Illinois

Assistant Curator
Wildlife Discovery Center at Elawa Farm
Lake Forest, Illinois

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: how to sex a sudan plated - ktmartin, Tue Apr 5 08:59:11 2005

<< Previous Message:  RE: how to sex a sudan plated - ktmartin, Fri Apr 1 20:24:14 2005