return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Should reptile rescues work with reptile breeders?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: VAReptileRescue at Sun Apr 17 20:17:14 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VAReptileRescue ]  

Jesse,

My answer is yes and no. It really depends on the animal, the species, the person, and the situation.

In the last 7 years of doing rescue, I've tried to make good contacts from all aspects of herping, breeders included. I've adopted many animals to breeders, knowing that they would be bred. However, my adoptions to breeders are becoming less and less frequent, as I find that many of the species I formerly didn't see often are now my most common species (common BCI, for instance.) Regardless, keeping a friendly relationship with breeders can help me in placing a difficult animal, or finding contacts for other reasons.

Now to answer some other questions posted:

How do I know you're not going to breed? I don't. It's a matter of trust and integrity. That's why I don't approve 95% of the adoption applications I get. If there's ANY inkling that I can't trust you, I don't adopt to you. I had one jerk last year that adopted a burm from me - and I made a big deal out of making sure he knew not to breed (he was a breeder). Turns out, the burm was gravid before she left here (I didn't know that) and he called a few months later to basically sneer at me and let me know that he'd hatched 36 burm eggs and sold them all. (In violation of the contract, I might add.) That was one case where I didn't follow my instincts, and I got burned. It won't happen again.

How do I know you didn't sell the animal? I don't. It goes back to trust again. My contract does stipulate that if the animal dies, I'm to be notified. I have yet to have it happen, though I'm certain there are animals that have passed.

How do I follow up on adoptions? E-mail, phone, checking with local rescuers to do a follow-up visit, etc.

Are the contracts enforceable? Yes. If you have the time and money. I've only had to do it once, but I'd do it again if I needed to. The courts are fairly clear on these contracts (which is why mine is so lengthy - it spells out pretty much everything). Again, though, I'm relying on trust - and my firm belief that most people will do the right thing. Naive? No - probably just over-optimistic.

-----
Bonnie Keller
VA Reptile Rescue
www.vareptilerescue.org

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Should reptile rescues work with reptile breeders? - shhawke, Sun Apr 17 21:08:05 2005

<< Previous Message:  Should reptile rescues work with reptile breeders? - rugbyman2000, Fri Apr 1 15:27:03 2005