return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Summer Is Here! Some things to consider for ACF owners

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Clawed Frogs/Surinam Toads ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gonexenopus at Sat Jun 25 14:59:08 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gonexenopus ]  

this is the time of year where i start to see a lot of problems with novice ACF owners. My email also gets full more and more as we progress into the hotter months. Here are some things to consider now that the temps are on the rise!

ACF are COOL WATER FROGS! their temperature should not excede 75 F if you can avoid it. here are some tips to help you keep your tank cooler...

*turn off any incandescent lighting since this type produces heat

*if for some reason you have a heater...TURN IT OFF!

*monitor tank temp. with a thermometer that hangs inside the tank! "stick on" ones are very inacurate since they only measure the temp. of the glass, not the actual water temp.

*If temps are still high, move the tank to a cooler location such as a basement or near an AC vent.

*For those w/o AC remove the hood, drop water level 3 inches and tape screen across the top to prevent escapes. position a fan at suface level (if possible) or in front of the tank. Circulating air across the water surface will drastically keep it cooler.

*prevention is key to curing disease! use one rounded tablespoong of aquarium salt PER 5 gallons of water. salt naturally prevents bacteria and fungus from thriving and multiplying in the water. also use a product called Koizyme. this is a natural living bacteria that competes with "bad bacteria" in the tank water, naturally "starving" it out so your frogs dont get infected. use one drop in your tank once a week. to purchase this produce go here www.xenopus.com. i have used the salt along with koizyme religiously for 7 years...IT WORKS!

*increase on water changes (or for you slackers) regular water changes of 25 % a week with COOL water will help keep bacteria from blooming and infecting your frog. this also includes vaccuming the gravel! which harbors organic matter that bacteria thrives on.

i hope some of these tips help you prepare for the summer season. an increase in temperature will lead to an increase of bacteria within the tank (it thrives at higher temps). this will cause many bacterial problems within the frogs that can appear as ulcers, tumors (bacterial swellings), bugging eyes, lethargic and hanging at surface, excessive shedding with skin still haning from legs, sudden bloating and death.

i get a wave of emails all summer long with "help my frog is sick!" usually in the subject line. these emails die out during the winter time and i will only get 2-3 in the cold months. in my experience of ACF keeping i have used the advice given above and it has saved me frogs! please feel free to ask any questions and i will help you out as best as i can. cool water, salt, koizyme and regular water changes will keep your frog healthy and protected all year long, especially during the hot months.

please see my website, post here or email me for more information

rachel

In Depth Information On Common Aquatic Frogs

-----
4.3 African Clawed Frog
3.3 Calfornia Newt
0.1 Leucistic Texas Ratsnake
1.2 Veiled Chameleon
0.1 Albino Cranwells Horned Frog
0.1 Paddle Tail Newt
0.1 Green Iguana
0.5.0 Indonesian Floating Frog