return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New russian

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Russian & Greek Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bradtort at Fri Aug 12 13:30:01 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bradtort ]  

Well he wont be indoors 24/7 i live in so. cal. and the nights get to about 65 and lower sometimes high 50. Also around here its overcast til 10-11 so its only in the 60 til then thats how wheather is by the ocean. So i want to bring him in every time its cold and once its warm he can go outside.

That temperature range is well within the limits of a russian tortoise.

Mine stay out in overnight lows in the mid 40s (as long as it isn't raining or damp) and daytime highs in the 100s. And I live in Missouri where the humidity is high. I bring mine in when it's either cold (sub 60) and raining, or overnight lows drop below 45, and/or daytime highs dont' break 60. You definitely have to avoid cold AND damp. When the low temps drop into the low 50s or less I put newspaper into the tort house to provide some insulation.

I have done this for 4 years (spring-to-fall) now, and the torts are consistently healthy and have produced about 15-20 hatchlings in that time.

I see no need to bring your tort inside under these conditions as long as he is healthy. Russian torts originate in mountainous regions with extremely cold winters, hot, dry summers, with little rainfall. Often they are only above ground 3 months of the year. If you can provide him with a secure outdoor pen that also has a small hide-box (little tortoise house) and some shade, he'll be fine. Southern California presents almost perfect weather for this tort. You'll still need to avoid temps much below 50, heavy rains, and extended periods (days) of highs in the 100s if there is little shade.

Go to the russian tortoise forum on Yahoo for more detailed help. I dont' have a link for it handy.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Nesting substrate for Geeks? - c&f, Sun Aug 14 09:37:01 2005
<< Previous topic:  greek tort info - rinoa05_1987, Tue Aug 9 12:00:50 2005