return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Jewelled Lacerta Egg Problem

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Lacertids ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: alecfeldman at Fri Sep 2 14:39:30 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by alecfeldman ]  

Since many people are interested in this, I thought I would post the not so happy followup.

To recoup the entire story:

My female Lepida laid 15 eggs. They were all fertile. I incubated them at 82F in vermiculite. They were all developing very well until the second month, then in 1 week 7 eggs went bad for no apparent reason. The other 8 eggs were developing well for the full incubation period of (what I had read to be) 60-75 days. At 80 days, I started getting concerned that none of the eggs were hatching. I noticed some of the eggs were sweating and collapsing. I decided to pop the eggs. The first 3 were dead in the egg (fully developed). The next 5 I hatched out were all alive and fully developed. 2 died in the next couple of days. 1 was still alive but very weak. 2 were really strong. To make matters worse, since all the babies were really dehydrated, I put a very shallow water dish in the cage (about 1.4" of water). The next day, one of the strong babies drowned in it. Don't know how, since the water was half as high as the body of the animal. Anyways, at this point I have 1 weak one, 1 strong one. Just posting this, so others can learn from my experience.

I included some pics of the female laying in here egg tank.

Thanks for reading.

Alec Feldman

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Jewelled Lacerta Egg Problem - alecfeldman, Tue Aug 23 22:04:00 2005 image in post *HOT TOPIC*