return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Info requested regarding business start up in N. California?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Wildlife_Rescue_Foundation at Tue Sep 27 03:26:53 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Wildlife_Rescue_Foundation ]  

You are on the right track in figuring out what you need to do on the business end of things. Being that every city, county and state have their own regulations, you will need to stay on that track for your area. But there are a number of other things to consider. You will also need to get a permit from California Fish & Game to catch and relocate native species. They may also require to you consult with biologists regarding where these snakes can be released to. Even if they don't require it, it is a good idea to talk to some biologists, either from the state or from your nearest university, so that you don't subject the snakes to a prolonged deaths. The subject of relocation is still a heavily debated one, but the general consensus at this point is that a snake relocated, or trans-located, over a mile away from the capture sight does not stand a good chance of finding adequate shelter and/or food. This increases the closer you get to the cooler, hibernation time of year. Also, there is the concern of potential disease/parasite transmission into different populations. Because of this, your state may not allow you relocate a snake outside of it's natural home range.
Aside from the biological implications, you also have to consider liability insurance. All it takes is one stupid mistake to cost you your car, home, life, etc…. I’m not so much talking about you being bitten because your not likely going to sue yourself (though that could be a costly mistake as well), but in the event someone else gets bitten, or injured, or if you step on their precious petunia’s and cause emotional distress (I know it seems funny, but worse things have happened). Also, you need to check with your car insurance because if you are using your vehicle for “business” use, you will likely be bumped to a different class.
These are just a few things I can recall right of the top of my head and 1 am. I don’t say these things to discourage you, although I must admit that it is discouraging at times. But once you get it all figured out and all your snakes in a row, it can be quite rewarding (though not very profitable).

Best of luck to you in your endeavors.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Info requested regarding business start up in N. California? - jasonw, Tue Sep 27 10:59:40 2005

<< Previous Message:  Info requested regarding business start up in N. California? - jasonw, Wed Sep 14 13:34:24 2005