return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: you must be the leader of your own cult

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Eimon at Tue Sep 20 23:46:37 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Eimon ]  

Brother Rainer, hypo & anery = ghost is accepted....in Colubrid morphs. But "ghost" is still just the man made label for that expression. Next is the use of "hypo", especially in mid Baja boas. Like the old lady used to say......where's the beef (in this case, melan) that has been reduced? Anyway here's a much better compendium of thoughts I sent in an email earlier today. Remember above all, let's keep it open......but when it come to cults, all I can say is three (3) albinos!...lol.

Email excerpt:

One of the characteristics of his ghost offspring that leads him to believe that a co-dominate genetic may be at work, is that there is a variance of expression of the "ghost" look in all the offspring (even "hets". It ranges from almost normal (actually very bright) looking San Felipes, up to "super" ghost looks,
even within the same litter. There doesn't seem to be the all or nothing one gets with a simple recessive expression, such as albinism. As far a the term Hypo being used with mid Baja boas, I've personally wondered how one could define hypo in them to begin with. Not saying that it isn't genetically possible, but they don't show any real melan influence naturally, so how can one look hypo when they already "look" hypo. Do you follow what I'm thinking? I also feel the same way with the true orange Calif boas (Joshua Tree, Cottonwood, Corn Springs, etc, even Pioneertown to a degree.) These are just my thoughts, not necessarily fact, when it come to hypo. In my opinion a lot of the confusion comes from the actual difference between true
genetic traits, and marketing terms used to describe them, as well as marketing terms to describe a compatible look. Comparing how a "true ghost" Corn is produced, with a "true ghost" Rosy is not necessarily applicable. I feel it may be two different
things happening, that end up being called the same. The bottom line is, I really like that all this is being brought up and discussed. I think there are things to be learned that may operate differently with Rosys, than they do with Colubrids. And even if it isn't, it certainly makes things more interesting along the way.

Eimon

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  here is some beef - bluerosy, Wed Sep 21 00:29:53 2005

<< Previous Message:  you must be the leader of your own cult - bluerosy, Tue Sep 20 22:39:21 2005