return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

The facts (long)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: trivirgata at Thu Sep 29 19:08:38 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by trivirgata ]  

This whole thing has created a ton of different opinions on if these animals are in fact “snows”. I’m led to believe that they are not based on the whole genetic equations posted by folks that truly know how all that works ( I for one am a big dummy when it comes to all that stuff ), and the conversation that I just had with Randy Limburg.

Randy quoted that he acquired the original male albino (as a neonate) in 1993. He then put the word out to close friends to collect females from Temecula. In the process of getting females, a friend (that is not in to snakes) found a large Rosy, put it in a bag, and left it on Randy’s front porch for Randy to find when he returned home that evening. To Randy’s surprise it was an odd looking (i.e. color) animal, even for a Temecula animal. Thinking it might be an anery, he bred it to normal looking females to produce hets in 1994 in hopes to prove that it was in fact an anery. At that time there was a lot of skepticism that it was an anery. During this period of time the albino male was growing like crazy. In 1995 the first het albinos were produced. (The first available albino hets were sold to Ric in 1996, and had nothing to do with the anery project.) As Randy put it “the odds are like that of winning the lottery”. Of the het anery’s born in 1994, a pair went to Gary Keasler. Now, without talking to Gary (which I will do tonight) I don’t know if the albino that Ric got from Gary was het or possible het for anery too. Anyway, in 1997 the first anery’s were produced from the hets, proving the gene out. Also in 1997, the first of any female albino’s were produced to breed to the anery’s.

The snow project was started in 1999. Randy bred the original w/c anery male with albino females, which only produced infertile egg masses. He tried again in 2000, producing only infertile egg masses. In 2002 using the 1997 c/b anery’s and the 1997 c/b albinos, Randy was able to produce the first double het for snow animals. In 2006 the first “Limburg Snow’s” will be produced. Currently Randy does not believe that the animals that Ric has are “Snows”, just very light colored albinos. He is as we all are, waiting with anticipation to see what the animals will look like after shedding. It may sound strange, but Randy gave me the authority to post this information, as he himself does not use the internet, and likes to remain a private person.

Jerry Hartley
www.LocalityRosys.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Pink Rosy Boa - Rick Millspaugh, Sat Oct 1 01:28:27 2005
<< Previous topic:  birth sequence #4... - ricksiri, Sun Sep 25 15:04:42 2005