return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Seeing as the venomoid section is DEAD....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomoid ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: versuvius at Sat Oct 22 21:51:04 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by versuvius ]  

Typically I just sit back and observe this forum, but this discussion is just too disgusting to sit back and keep quiet.

"Removing venom glands from a snake is on par with having your salivary glands removed. How would you feel? Venom is nothing more than "glorified saliva" which aids the snake in the digestive process BEFORE the prey item is actually consumed."

While it is true that venom glands are modified salivary glands, they serve different functions in humans vs. reptiles. In humans, it is a means to lubricate food for ease of swallowing. For reptiles, it is used to subdue prey and yes, it does begin the digestive process, however it is not essential to it. Over the years, I have had many venomous snakes that became accustomed to eating pre-killed prey and for years, they never bit their food and digested it just fine. Therefore, the correlation of salivary glands in humans vs reptiles is of no consequence.

"Have you ever taken a piece of pocorn and held it in your mouth without chewing it? If you haven't, your digestive enzymes (saliva) dissolves & breaks down the popcorn. Basically this is the same principal employed by venomous snakes."

Again, saliva does begin the digestive process even in humans, however there have been many cases of people not having functioning salivary glands and they have to drink with their meal to help "wash it down", but it is not essential part of the process and you can live fine without it. This is not the same function as in reptiles and is therefore irrelevant.

"PLEASE don't contribute to this barbaric "medical prosedure"."

So I assume that none of you anti-voiders have ever had your dogs or cats spayed or neutered or declawed. Never had a ferret that was descented or bird with clipped wings, right? I mean why would you subject them to such barbaric procedures.

"I suggest becoming adept at handling "hot" snakes & employ them into your presentation."

Venomoid or not, you should handle any venomous snakes the same, especially in the view of the public. Nothing makes a worse impression than holding a rattlesnake, v-oid or not.

"If not, use photos."

While photos are a useful tool, they just don't make a lasting impression on eager young minds.

I think if live snakes were used in your presentation, it would serve for a more powerful & captivating presentation to your audience. You must convey to your audience that venomous snakes should be respected, but also illustrate that if given a wide berth, venomous snakes pose no real danger to human lives.

I do agree with this statement. I do many educational presentations, but many places, especially schools, will not allow venomous snakes. Therefore, I have to use venomoid snakes. I handle them as if they were a hot snake and the only people who know they are venomoid are myself, my assistants, and the powers that be that are concerned with the liability of using a hot snake. I do not advertise that they are venomoid to the audience.

"I have had numerous venomous snakes over the years & what fasinates me the most about them is that they have this remarkable & efficient defense mechanism but when they feel they are not threatened, they are uninclined to use it. Please reconsider your idea about venomoids."

And finally, I again agree that venomous snakes are fascinating creatures. I have many hot's myself and I like letting them stay hot. But I am not opposed to having venomoids either. I think you should keep an open mind and do what you feel is right. Just don't free handle a rattlesnake in front of a bunch of kids.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Seeing as the venomoid section is DEAD.... - thekidgecko, Sat Oct 22 23:58:24 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: Seeing as the venomoid section is DEAD.... - hotherps, Tue Oct 25 21:29:14 2005

<< Previous Message:  RE: Seeing as the venomoid section is DEAD.... - Frawg, Thu Oct 20 23:08:36 2005