return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

GBR Press: Snakey Sue’s seventy snakes seek sanctuary

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Sat Nov 12 23:32:26 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

EPPING FOREST GUARDIAN (UK) 12 November 05 Snakey Sue’s seventy snakes seek sanctuary (Jenny Clarke)
Photo: Snakey Sue with her friends
Seventy snakes are seeking sanctuary, says Snakey Sue.
Belly dancer Suzanne Patrice, known as Snakey Sue, rescues unwanted and homeless pet snakes.
But she is running out of space at the vivarium in her home and needs to find a bigger place to give refuge to her ever-increasing collection of animals.
Ms Patrice said: "Pretty soon I will find it difficult to take in any more snakes. There are always more animals in need of a home and I want to help."
People will have a chance to meet the animals when Ms Patrice holds a business and enterprise awareness day from 2pm to 4pm on Sunday, November 20, in the hall at St Andrew's Church, Colworth Road, Leytonstone.
The event is free but a small charge will be made to hold the snakes and to have your photograph taken with them.
Ms Patrice hopes the day will raise cash for the animals' welfare and open up people's minds to the idea of starting their own businesses.
To pay for the food and vet bills, Ms Patrice started up her business as Snakey Sue.
She takes the snakes on visits to schools around London, and entertains at children's parties, corporate functions and other events.
Some of her bookings for belly dancing include a performance with the snakes.
She said: "I'm licensed and insured. The visits to schools are educational but I enjoy the entertainment work too.
"Looking after the snakes is a full-time job for me, but it is expensive.
"The visits and entertainments are good because they give people a chance to learn about the animals as well as helping me out with the costs."
Boa constrictors, corn snakes and Kenyan snake boas are among the reptiles that Ms Patrice has rescued.
"Snakes have long life-spans. Boas can live up to 40 years. People buy them as pets but when their circumstances change or the children grow up and leave home they are unable to keep them. That's when I step in," Ms Patrice said.
In the future she hopes to find a business or organisation to help provide a space for a sanctuary at a low rent.
There would need to be a good electricity supply and secure access.
Ideally, said Ms Patrice, it would be nice to have somewhere that people would be able to visit and we could expand over the years.
Ms Patrice is a member of the International Herpet-ological Society, the British Herpetological Society and the Federation of British Herpetologists.
She is also looking for people who are interested in joining her in launching a new charity Reptile Welfare Society UK.
Anyone who would like to find out more should contact Ms Patrice on 8989 2560 or visit the website www.snakeysue.com
Snakey Sue’s seventy snakes seek sanctuary

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereGBR Press: Snakey Sue’s seventy snakes seek sanctuary - W von Papineäu, Sat Nov 12 23:32:26 2005

>> Next topic:  OH Press: Store seeks help in rescuing injured and sick reptiles - W von Papineäu, Fri Nov 25 20:46:18 2005
<< Previous topic:  RATTLESNAKE ROUNDUP PETITION....PLEASE SIGN!!! - psilocybe, Tue Nov 8 15:33:39 2005