return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Mating or Agression in P. Laticauda Laticauda

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Day Geckos (Phelsuma) ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jfarah at Mon Nov 14 21:13:18 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jfarah ]  

I agree with gecko girl. Basically you need to check the femoral pores of each while they are on the glass. Are they both the same size? We are talking about two adult laticauda right? Adult males will get a little bigger than the females, but not much. If you have 2 adult male laticaudas in the same cage you will know it. One will never be seen and will soon be harrassed to death if the cage is small. An adult female in the presence of an adult male will sometimes be the victim of male agression, but usually its courtship and mating related.

Also, I would say the grandis being visible isnt contributing much to the male's agression toward the female, but who knows...

A couple of things that I have done to ease the agression when multiple animals share the same enclosure are:

- provide more than 1 feeding spot
- provide more than 1 basking spot
- several hiding spots

This will reduce direct competition for vital resources.

laticauda are just mean sons a es!!! My buddy dbaker and I have raised laticauda and grandis for a few years now and have been breeding them like crazy. They are a lot of fun to work with. We recently sold of the last of our laticauda collection, partly because they are so agressive and cant be housed together even from birth! Lately we have been working with the neon or yellow-headed day geckos (Phelsuma klemmeri). They are very friendly towards eachother and can live in big groups. They are also very very beautiful and are not shy of people.

Joe

Pics are our adult male laticauda and some baby klemmeri

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  How to catch my phelsuma laticunda - takydromus, Mon Nov 14 19:06:24 2005
<< Previous topic:  Pics: Grandis - berg12012, Fri Nov 11 03:55:12 2005