return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Plated lizard questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Plated Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Matt Campbell at Thu Dec 22 21:43:30 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Matt Campbell ]  

>>I done some research and still am doing research but was woundering if anyone can tell me some info on these guys.

Good start. Keep reading, and look at back posts on this forum as many will deal with issues regarding diets, substrates, etc. A good book that has some basic natural history on all the species is the 'Field Guide to Snakes and Other Reptiles of South Africa' by Bill Branch. It has great photos that can really help identify the differences between tricky species like Black-lined Plated Lizards and Yellow-throated Plated Lizards. Also, 'Reptiles' magazine had an article on 'Sudan' and Giant Plated Lizards in I think it was their October issue. Beware though, as the full page spread is misidentified as a Giant Plated Lizard when in fact it's a Black-lined Plated Lizard. I think it's a mistake on the behalf of the 'Reptiles' editorial staff and not the author.

>>How big do they get?"

There's a large size range. They can get anywhere from 8 - 10 inches total length to up to 24 inches total length. Obviously the smaller sizes will be more suited to the aquarium size you're talking about.

>>Also can i house one in a 55 gallon terrarium?

I personally would recommend against a glass aquarium for the simple reason that aquaria are made for fish, not reptiles and as such have lousy ventilation characteristics and also tend to stress animals more since when you feed, water, and clean you always approach from above as a predator would. I would much rather see any species of Plated housed in a front-opening enclosure that is spacious in its dimensions.

>>Do they like to climb more or stay on the ground?

They primarily dwell on or near rock outcroppings and will prefer stacked shelves of flat pieces of rocks where they can get into crevices where they feel more comfortable.

>>Also what is a good substrate?

I recommend plain old dirt. I make my own soil substrate mix composed of equal parts hardwood mulch, topsoil , and peat moss.

Finally diet. Variety is the spice of life for these guys. For the insectivorous species feed more than just crickets - use roaches, earthworms, waxworms, superworms, even frozen/thawed pinkie or fuzzy mice . For the more omnivorous species, the above applies but you'll also want to feed a varied diet of leafy greens, pieces of prickly pear cactus pad and/or fruits, other fruits like apple, the occasional grape, pieces of tomato or bell pepper, etc.
-----
Matt Campbell
25 years herp keeping experience
Full-time zookeeper
Personal collection - 21 snakes (9 genera), 20 lizards (4 genera), 6 chelonians (2 genera)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Plated lizard questions - boxielover, Mon Dec 19 22:11:05 2005