return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

A question for Richard.....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Jaykis at Sat Feb 11 16:54:13 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jaykis ]  

I was going to ask this on the python forum, but it seems more applicable here. My question concerns Apadora and Morelia boeleni. To my view, (and with no taxonomy experience to back it up, lol) I think they are both the same "type", and that Boelen's should be removed from Morelia and placed with Apadora. Although I don't have any Boelens, I have seen a few in real life at shows, and the heads look pretty much the same as my Apadoras. Looking at their geographical distribution, it seems mainly that altitude is the governing factor. Boelens highter up, Apadoras further down to the coast. Both require similiar humidity and are difficult to breed (yes, I know that's not a criteria, but taken with everything else....) For a pair of animals that routinely hit over 12', very little is known about either. I looked at the maps in Mark O'Sheas book on the snakes of Papua NG, and the maps are REAL interesting as far as who lives where.

There's a real wide color variation on Apadoras, from goldish green to deep green, "almost" black, not to mention the color changing ability of Apadora, which may help a darker animal do better that lives further up in regards to the quick warm-up factor that Boelens would need because of drastic temp variants in the mountains.

So...am I out of line here...or just taking certain observations and running the wrong way with them....or possibly correct? All responses will be welcome. And what IS the breeding season on Apadora, anyway?
-----
1.1 Blackheaded pythons
1.1 Woma (Juvie female)
2.1 Aussie Olives
1.1 Timors
1.0 Angolan Juvie
1.1 Savu
1.1 Juvie Bloods
1.1 Juvie Balls
1.1 IJ Carpets
1.1 Coastal Carpets
1.2 Macklotts
1.1 Papuan Olives
1.0 Jungle Carpet
2.2 Scrubs (on breeding loan)
0.1 Jungle/Diamond cross
0.1 child, CB
0.1 wife, WC

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: A question for Richard..... - johnscanlon, Mon Feb 13 01:30:57 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Morelia spilota taxonomy revised - richardwells, Thu Dec 29 17:55:33 2005