return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: mixing

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uroplatus Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CanadianUros at Fri Jan 13 19:24:53 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CanadianUros ]  

In fact many Uroplatus have the same distribution as many Phelsuma. The difference is that Phelsuma live on the edge of the forest or the top of the canopy. The Uroplatus live in the dense underbrush. The temperature differences are markedly different. Usually the temperature difference is ten degrees or more. In the Uroplatus book I have it gives maximum tempertures for all the locals that Uroplatus can be found, some were as high as thirty five degrees. It then also makes it very clear that the area that you actually would find Uroplatus would be at least ten degrees celcius different. All the thick brush overhead blocks much of the suns rays as well as the heat that comes with it. Having said all that I mix many Uroplatus and Phelsuma but only temporarily. I am in the process of building a Uroplatus room. Housing them together for long periods of time together will probably not hurt but you most likely will not create ideal conditions for both genus to breed. My success breeding Uro's this year is terrible. Between moving and building this room for them they have not had a chance to settle. Next year when the Uroplatus room is finished I hope to have much better sucess. My Phelsuma on the other hand have been doing very well for me. If you do mix species use extreme caution. I tried to mix P. standingi with U. lineatus and the standings beat the hell out of them. Always make sure the Phelsuma are smaller than the Uroplatus.
-----
Regards Ryan Beitle

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: mixing - umop_apisdn, Sat Jan 7 15:58:09 2006