return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fire Skink . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Leopard Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: hipermelanistic (Black) boa

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: jayf at Mon Feb 27 13:33:13 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jayf ]  

if the trait proves to be genetic i think you may be able to sell them for a fairly good price. recessive mutations seem to warrent a much larger price tag as they are obviously more difficult to produce visualy differnt offspring.
i am no guru, but i would speculate that this trait if proven genetic should prove to be fairly popular. the reason i feel this way is because there seems to be a trend to develop an all white boa. this can be seen with the popularity of the snow boa. i would think the most logical thing for you to do since you also have an albino (if the abino is female, since the hypermelanistic is a male) is to make double hets. theoretically you could produce a boa that is white with very little pattern due to the hypermelanism. additionally an animal who is both hypermelanistic as well as a t positive albino would be very interesting looking.
i think if the trait proves to be genetic you should do very well with them.

on a side note it would be interesting to breed it to a hypomelanistic boa to determine if the mutation is on the same gene (if they canceled each other out). i dont know how marketable it would be but it would sure advance the knowledge of boa genetics. good luck with him and i would love to hear more of your plans and their outcome.

>>I was trying to post this message in some subforum like the one in the ball python forum (Ball Python Business Trends & Issues) but here is not anything like it.
>>
>>What do u think about this hipermelanistic morph?
>>Could it be a popular morph?
>>Which could be the price for a new born?
>>
>>I've seen some of this boas in a German site (http://www.boanet.de) so I guess this also could be an inheritable trait. According to the friend who sold him to me, this animal came from Central America, was bred by a Mexican Biologist, then he sold most of this line of animals to European collections, except for this animal and probably a couple more remained here in México. It's an adult male which I think it already bred 2 large females so I hope to have some het babys this year (recessive gene).
>>
>>in the pics the hiper and one of my albinos
>>
>>
>>

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  hipermelanistic (Black) boa - Chuck_Ch, Mon Feb 27 10:17:27 2006 image in post