return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Plated Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Why are adult boas so cheap?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: jasonw at Tue Feb 28 11:14:10 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jasonw ]  

In my opinion there are 2 reasons. First off Adults are shorter lived. For example if you buy an adult it will only be a pet for X amount of years but if you buy a baby you have that many more years to keep it. Another huge reason in my opinion is exactly that HUGE. I am sure there are a whole lot of people that buy these cute baby Boas un aware that they will reach 12 feet and 100lbs or larger. Its kind of like the New York Alligator stories. My father says he can vouch for Gaters in the sewers as when he lived in NY as a child they use to be able to mail order them. Once they got to big a lot of them would get flushed LOL I bet toilet plungers were a popular item in NY in the 50’s and 60’s LOL Anyway I think that’s the biggest reason is a lot of Normal every day Americans just are not able to take care of such a large snake for any length of time so once they decide to get rid of it they just want it gone. While I was at the pet store purchasing Shadow a person called with a 6 foot Boa that he wanted to sell for $100 including enclosure and all care items. I almost grabbed it as it came with everything and was still $50 cheaper than Shadow but I kind of fell for her so I took her instead.
My Research and Collection "New server"

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Why are adult boas so cheap? - SnakeFreak, Tue Feb 28 10:55:02 2006