return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Burmese Python . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - July 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - July 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - July 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I am most intrigued and fascinated ...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: GainesReptiles at Wed Mar 1 15:29:26 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by GainesReptiles ]  

Brendan -

First off, great job in describing your boa's "neurological-appearing" behavior during an ovulation/post-ovulation time period.

Secondly, what a fantastic explanation provided by Gus. I personally feel Gus is right on target with his alternative (possible) diagnosis.

Thirdly, to quote that other famous boa breeder, "PUT THAT BOA DOWN AND DON"T PARADE IT AROUND AGAIN WHILE IT IS PREGNANT"! I would NOT be dragging her out to some vet's office that probably won't have the foggiest notion of what is going on. Just leave her alone, wait, and watch.

Point of reference ... during this season's breeding period, for the 1st time I observed the EXACT same behavior with 1 of my first-time Snow females. It is somewhat similar to what I have observed in females at the time they are giving birth. They are extremely stressed out, can't seem to lift their head up, and appear completely disoriented. I might add that it really "freaked me out" (I guess Gus has a little more experience).

I am most intrigued and fascinated with both our observations and the explanation provided by Gus. I think this may be one of those opportune learning lessons for everyone.

By the way, my female was at 105 days yesterday and so I am on around-the-clock watch. She also seems to have adjusted to her rather plump condition and has gotten used to dragging her lower body around the cage.

Best of Luck, and I certainly hope Gus and I are correct.

Bill Gaines

bill@gainesreptiles.com

GainesReptiles.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I am most intrigued and fascinated ... - jayf, Wed Mar 1 15:48:44 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Please..NEED HELP! - Riobravoreptiles, Wed Mar 1 14:37:48 2006 image in post