return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Burmese Python . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - July 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - July 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - July 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: I am most intrigued and fascinated ...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: jayf at Wed Mar 1 15:48:44 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jayf ]  

this is also interestign to me as i do not have experience yet with breeding boas. i would also assume it not to be a common practice to move pregnant boas around very much. i would be interested to know if anyone else has had expereince with this type of behavior. i think this behavior being 'normal' for an animal in this condition is very possible. as the chances for two individuals who have a good deal of expereince witnessing it in two different boas that turned out to be healthy is fairly slim. i think it might be benificial to the greater good to have video of strange behavior such as this for reference.

>>Brendan -
>>
>>First off, great job in describing your boa's "neurological-appearing" behavior during an ovulation/post-ovulation time period.
>>
>>Secondly, what a fantastic explanation provided by Gus. I personally feel Gus is right on target with his alternative (possible) diagnosis.
>>
>>Thirdly, to quote that other famous boa breeder, "PUT THAT BOA DOWN AND DON"T PARADE IT AROUND AGAIN WHILE IT IS PREGNANT"! I would NOT be dragging her out to some vet's office that probably won't have the foggiest notion of what is going on. Just leave her alone, wait, and watch.
>>
>>Point of reference ... during this season's breeding period, for the 1st time I observed the EXACT same behavior with 1 of my first-time Snow females. It is somewhat similar to what I have observed in females at the time they are giving birth. They are extremely stressed out, can't seem to lift their head up, and appear completely disoriented. I might add that it really "freaked me out" (I guess Gus has a little more experience).
>>
>>I am most intrigued and fascinated with both our observations and the explanation provided by Gus. I think this may be one of those opportune learning lessons for everyone.
>>
>>By the way, my female was at 105 days yesterday and so I am on around-the-clock watch. She also seems to have adjusted to her rather plump condition and has gotten used to dragging her lower body around the cage.
>>
>>Best of Luck, and I certainly hope Gus and I are correct.
>>
>>Bill Gaines
>>
>>bill@gainesreptiles.com
>>
>>GainesReptiles.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  I am most intrigued and fascinated ... - GainesReptiles, Wed Mar 1 15:29:26 2006