return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Nov 10, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Nov 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Nov 17, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Nov 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Nov 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Nov 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Nov 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

GBR Press: Bring back our pet Chewbacca

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Sat Sep 2 20:07:51 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

BURY FREE PRESS (UK) 30 August 06 Bring back our pet Chewbacca
A couple have told how they are unable to sleep at night after a thief stole their beloved pet tortoise.
Chewbacca – named after the hairy Star Wars character – disappeared from John and Josey Wingrove's home in Everard Close, Bury St Edmunds, during Sunday night.
Mr Wingrove said: "We haven't slept since he has gone. We had him 38 years – it's a lifetime and somebody has got the nerve to come into my yard and nick him.
"We shouldn't have to put a tortoise in the shed overnight. Why anybody would do this I don't know. It has made us both upset – it's terrible."
The Wingroves said they had checked the back gate was firmly shut each night to ensure Chewbacca did not wander off.
A horrified Mrs Wingrove discovered the garden gate wide open and her tortoise gone on Monday morning.
They have since reported the matter to the police in the hope that they may get their pet – bought for three guineas – back.
"I'm gutted Chewbacca has gone. He was like part of the family and I don't know what I will tell my grandchildren because they loved playing with him.
"You do hear of pets being stolen to order and I hope that hasn't happened to him," said Mrs Wingrove.
A spokeswoman for the police said: "It is the first time I have heard of a tortoise being stolen. Incidents such as these are very rare and the owner has been left very upset by the loss of her tortoise.
"We would appeal for anybody who has any information to call us."
Chewbacca is described as having a dark shell and a small scar on his head.
Anyone with information on his disappearance can call Bury Police on 01284 774100 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Bring back our pet Chewbacca

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Impressed tortoises - geckos70, Sun Sep 3 11:52:51 2006
<< Previous topic:  Question about egyptian tort. - boxielover, Sat Sep 2 18:13:00 2006