return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Rusty Ratsnakes . . . ? ? ?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: blueselaphe at Thu Oct 5 21:51:26 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by blueselaphe ]  

Ahhh, the Rusty talks again....
Rusty is a hypo type black rat. There are two strains of them, broken in northern or Ohio and the southern which I think came out of KY... I forgot. The more popular and abundant being the southern strain. I never heard of the Northern strain until I lived in Ohio and went to a show up there.
They do produce the leucy trait, though not every clutch. I have had some who produced for two years with no leucistics only to have them produce a half and half clutch the next year.
Here is the cool part, when you breed both strains together you get all normal babies het for both strains right? Well you do but if you breed those babies back to each other you get a 50/50 mix of normal and rusty. The issue there? is one strain co-dom and the other dom??? And I know what some people think about the hypo claim but it was proven by Dr. Bern and then by Dwight Good. Now, what is a brendle? Rock On, BLue

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Lets see some leucistic rat snake pics.. - RobertIIII, Wed Oct 4 21:36:02 2006
<< Previous topic:  The Incredibly Deadly... - mavericksdad, Wed Oct 4 03:40:27 2006