return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Flame me - revisited

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: Matt Campbell at Mon Oct 9 19:17:33 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Matt Campbell ]  

Well, for those of you who recognize the post title you'll remember I was lamenting what the BP craze has done to the diversity of shows like the NARBC. Well, I spent both days at the NARBC in Tinley, IL looking around and I'd have to say it was every bit as disappointing as I thought it'd be. Fully 80 percent of the show was BPs, with about 15 percent being Leopard and Crested Geckos, and Bearded Dragons and about 5 percent everything else, meaning misc. ratsnakes, kings, chelonians, etc. VERY disappointing.

I did come away with probably one of the most RARE animals in the entire show though - a yearling male COMPLETELY NORMAL HET-FOR-NOTHING WILD TYPE Cornsnake. Yeah, I know a Cornsnake. Nothing exciting there but I have a couple lonely females (Normals as well) and I haven't had eggs incubating for years so I figured what the hey? On Sunday I did make an end of the day impulse purchase as well which was a nice sized female Corn, also wild type but apparently a wild type of hypo since she's lacking in black borders around blotches. There were some ratsnakes of interest however - King Rats, Leopard Rats, and Kunisir Island as well as a few Coxi but that was about it.

There were literally about 2 or 3 Coxi and about 6 King Rats and about 3 or 4 of any other type. Of course there were a few people selling some Corn morphs but no normals on hardly any of those tables. And just table, after table, after table of Ball Pythons. It actually makes walking through a rather large show hall pretty easy because if you don't stop to look at the same look-a-like snakes at every booth you get through pretty quickly.

I gotta say that BP morphs just don't do it for me. Not that I'm a big fan of any morph or any snake to begin with, but when the look only slightly different from a normal, it's hard to get excited and even harder to justify paying thousands of dollars.
-----
Matt Campbell

"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Nothing better than a natural. - MurphysLaw, Mon Oct 9 23:51:36 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Flame me - revisited - BillMcgElaphe, Tue Oct 10 06:43:13 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Flame me - revisited - janiel24, Tue Oct 10 07:12:03 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Flame me - revisited - bluerosy, Tue Oct 10 09:19:32 2006
>> Next Message:  Give me normals any day - Clydesdale, Tue Oct 10 17:58:09 2006