return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Flame me - revisited, wave of the

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: Matt Campbell at Tue Oct 10 11:08:54 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Matt Campbell ]  

Yeah, I know it's only economics right now but I think in some part this is driven by herping in the internet age. A lot of BP breeders tell you to look at the the prices of Cornsnakes when the first morphs came out and then tell them they're doing anything wrong with pricing them the way they are. I think what is driving this and making it so much worse is that as soon as some new morph or 'combo' comes out then word gets out much quicker than back in hey-day of Corns when it would've been more word-of-mouth or waiting on those pricelists to arrive in the snail-mail.

I also hear a lot of breeders touting their return on investment, even accounting for lower prices on some morphs by the time you're able to produce and sell your own. While that may have been true initially, I think the market has become so saturated that it's about to crash and at that point you'll see prices fall drastically on probably all those morphs. I think to sell at a big show like Tinley a breeder is taking a real gamble.

As I read the info, a single 8ft table cost something like $395 with no electricity. If you're selling hatchling Corns, other Rats, or Kings, you can probably pack a lot of merchandise into that space, but still even if you're selling an average priced animal for $40 each, you have to sell something like 10 of them just to cover the cost of the table for the weekend without taking into account your hotel room or travel costs. I think that also figures heavily into why there weren't more non-BP breeders at the show - it's probably tough to justify going and spending all that money when you're not pimping $1000 animals.

I guess we can only hope that when this whole BP thing goes bust that it'll be our time again and that we'll see lots of Asian Rats and other cool Ratsnakes for sale as the next new craze. Maybe table after table of Coxi and Rhino Rats, and Mandarins, and maybe even Ptyas.
-----
Matt Campbell

"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  I hope not... - garweft, Tue Oct 10 21:54:40 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Flame me - revisited, wave of the - mchambers, Tue Oct 10 08:09:25 2006