return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Monster Ratsnakes.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: ratsnakehaven at Thu Oct 19 05:06:43 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ratsnakehaven ]  

>>It seems kind of difficult to find an accurate record length for these snakes, and even northern emoryi. Dixon and Werler have the record length as 72 inches (182.9 cm) for e.emoryi, e.meahllmorum and g.slowinskii! This seems to be an old guttata record as well, that they did not bother changing (or getting new lengths/research), even though they consider guttata and emoryi to be different species. Roger Conant had the record at 57 inches for E.g. emoryi, and E.g. guttata at 72 inches, back in 1958.
>>
>>-Toby

Toby, was that 57" emoryi, Conant record from his old field guide? It's hard to keep up with all the literature. I know in the old days most considered the corn snake complex to be all one species, "guttata", but there were a few that used Elaphe emoryi for the Great Plains ratsnake concept. I also think that 72" record was for the corn snake complex as a whole when they were considered one species. I think the corn snake gets bigger than the Great Plains ratsnake, as far as max length goes.

Your Nueces "meahllmorum" trump that 57" record emoryi. So, you guys in s. TX should be able to come up with a new record for meahllmorum, at least. Whether it is applied to emoryi is another question. I think we should have max lengths for the subspecies and special localities also, which are hardly ever published. For instance, intermontana get to about 36", northern emoryi get ?, the Keys record is ?, etc, etc.

Thanks, later...TC

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Another Feeding Question, sorry... - enanitoleg, Wed Oct 11 00:46:41 2006
<< Previous topic:  more then one in a cage question?? - RobertIIII, Tue Oct 10 18:49:14 2006