return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Premature birth question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: sdi at Sat Oct 14 22:34:45 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sdi ]  

I had a female that had a litter of premature babies last season. The litter consisted of eight "fully" formed babies and twelve slugs. She delivered the litter approximately two weeks before the 105 day mark.

My question is can a female that delivers early like this have a tendency to repeat premature delivery. I know there are alot of variables that could affect the birthing process. I am wondering if anyone has experienced or heard of a female delivering early more than once. Is it a fluke, could it have to do specifically with the female, could it be the temperature etc., or is it just nature? In this particular case she was pretty much consistently at 86 degrees during gestation. She had the gradient to be warmer or cooler. This is where she kept herself.

I have a big and beautiful boa that I really don't want to risk any potential harm to. The premature litter did not really seem to take much of a toll on her, at least visually. She was also checked out by my reptile vet recently and all signs are good. She is rock solid again and could breed this season. However, she doesn't need to, especially if she may need another year???

I would love to hear from anyone who has input, experience, or information on this. It would also be nice to hear from some of the old timers. Those who consistently produce litters and who have been breeding for a while.

Here she is.

Thanks for any input.

Steve Ihrig - sdi

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Whats been going on... - pythonis, Sat Oct 14 22:53:23 2006
<< Previous topic:  Dumeril Boas - pichereptiles, Sat Oct 14 21:57:30 2006