return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: That's alright Bert....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: jfirneno at Sat Oct 21 12:35:08 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jfirneno ]  

Bert you've asked a very difficult question. I believe there is a website that tries to simulate for a color-sighted guy what the color-blind see. From what I've read it would look very yellow and blue to you. What I call red is definitely not what you know as red. Let's just say that the red areas on the mandarin are "red" to me.

What I look for on a Sichuan mandarin is bright yellow and black with a light grey background with a minimum of red tipping.

I equate the red tipping with a darker coloration that sometimes seem to darken the yellow areas over time. This I avoid. That being said, I have seen some very red mandarins that even though there may be a slightly less bright yellow color involved still look really great because of the very high contrast of the yellow against the dark red. I would be tempted by mandarins of that description but they have not been my focus.

The viets are a whole other thing. Their color scheme is very different. The viets with the red are extremely different from the chinese red mandarins. Then there are the viets where the yellow gets white-looking which is also very different and to me interesting. But it'll take me a while of observing the color changes first hand in my two viets for me to figure out what's what with my opinions on vietnam mandarin aesthetics.

Good talking to you Bert
Best regards,
John

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: That's alright Bert.... - bertgrit, Sat Oct 21 13:30:16 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: That's alright Bert.... - bertgrit, Sat Oct 21 10:57:19 2006