return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Eastern Hognose...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ]

Posted by: PHWyvern at Fri Mar 16 07:54:40 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHWyvern ]  

>>I see CB Eastern hatchlings offered with some regularity on the KS classifieds. Jim McDonald mentioned in a previous thread that perhaps some breeders are selling babies before they are reliably feeding on mice, leaving the new owner who is less prepared/experienced to deal with trying to establish that.

Always assume any baby eastern hog is gonna be hard to start on pinkies when it comes to feeding. It does happen that a snake that is feeding willingly and reliably on pinks for a breeder may suddenly stop with a new owner.. different surroundings, stress, different smell to the food, etc. can potentially throw off a snake. Likewise the opposite can happen sometimes and can trigger a good feeding response. I had one that I bought and was told upfront that she was very unreliable at taking pinks and at that would only take scented... within a short time she was eating pinks like a chow hound and I never scented a single one of them. I have another who I was told was regularly eating frog scented pinks, but for me will only eat tuna scented. He will NOT touch a pink until it has been dipped in tuna water..once dipped he goes into a literal feeding frenzy. His sibling that i also bought back then, she won't eat at all for me regardless of the scenting method used. Have had to resort to force feeding.
-----
_____

PHWyvern

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  male eastern hognose - cochran, Wed Mar 14 21:39:38 2007
<< Previous topic:  Stupid question - KevColubrid, Tue Mar 13 18:52:37 2007