return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Considering a rat snake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ]

Posted by: choppergreg74 at Sat Mar 22 20:44:55 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by choppergreg74 ]  

I recently sold off a large venomous collection after working with them for 7 years. (something I and my wife thought I would never do). I now am focusing on North American ratsnakes. I have to say I love them and find them to be real interesting and smart (for a snakes). I have sevral of the obsoletta species. They never rub their noses. Some can be nippy as babies, but all my adults are laid back for the most part. You need to handle them as young snakes. My favorites are my yellow ratsnakes. If you have room to set up an arboreal set up, they will make use of it and you can enjoy them even more. I only had one other snake I liked as much as my yellow rat snake. It was an Indian spectacled cobra. They both had/have the same curious nature. Both the rat snake and cobra actually get/got excited and come up to the glass when when I enter the room. The nice thing is I can free handle the ratsnake. I also have some Tiger carpet pythons and Jungle carpets. While they are beautiful they have nothing going on upstairs (in the brain). They perch allday and bite any thing that moves. I took my jungle out the other day and while I was holding him he bit himself twice. I was pissed. Any way sorry to ramble. Go for the rat snake they are cool, and get a grey oak they are beautiful. Cheers Greg

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Considering a rat snake - DanW, Sat Mar 22 21:19:46 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Considering a rat snake - nekomi, Sat Mar 22 21:20:15 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Considering a rat snake - ratsnakehaven, Sun Mar 23 11:06:55 2008

<< Previous Message:  Considering a rat snake - DanW, Sat Mar 22 18:50:23 2008