return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Bath time reveals more neglect!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: HappyHillbilly at Fri May 2 09:26:05 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HappyHillbilly ]  

Hi Wayne!
There's nothing wrong with feeding a snake inside it's enclosure. If there are concerns about the substrate being harmful it shouldn't be in there to begin with. You now have seen firsthand that most of the wood-type substrates commonly used can be passed without problems.

Most likely, the reason it hadn't defecated in quite some time is due to dehydration. Dehydration can lead to impaction but I'm not 100% sure I would consider what you've just experienced a full-blown impaction issue. Maybe, maybe not. In situations like that I've seen the term "impaction" used fairly loosely but I feel there's a fine line there. However, I've used the term in similar situations myself. It is commonly accepted as such and probably close enough to be considered such. In other words, I'm getting into splitting hairs, needlessly. Ha! Ha!

Anyway, the reason for feeding a reptile in it's enclosure far outweighs the reasons not to. This is even so in the event that a cage is loaded with feces and hasn't been changed in months. A healthy snake is unaffected by such. Even if it were to consume part of it's own feces during ingestion of a rodent, the odds are it would be more beneficial to the reptile than harmful.

A word about testing for parasites: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If there are no obvious problems, save your money, the snake's gut is doing what it's supposed to do. By needlessly eliminating the bad, the good are also wiped out, thus having to start all over again and, in my eyes, making it more susceptible to the bad than it orginally was. They need some bad to encourage the growth & presence of the good.

Have a good one!
HH
-----
Due to political correctness run amuck,
this ol' hillbilly is now referred to as an:
Appalachian American

www.natures-signature.com

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Time To Say Goodbye? - SneakySnakesINC, Sat May 3 03:51:25 2008
<< Previous topic:  Did you do your part? Did YOU ? - boaphile, Wed Apr 30 14:52:22 2008