return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Awesome opportunity, but...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: Hollychan at Mon May 5 18:51:49 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Hollychan ]  

Okay, I know you're working most of this out, currently, but here are some words from another mother.

I didn't have any reptiles until I managed to move out on my own. The excuse was always "we have too many animals as it is" and "your grandmother and aunt are terrified of 'creepy crawlies' and they won't come visit if you have one of those! They barely tolerate the hamsters!!"

My first herp was an iguana won at a county fair... it died because I didn't know enough about husbandry and had no clue that the wonderful "perfect" heat rock I had for him would roast him. The second herp, a hatchling beardie, I bought at a reptile show after I was married, while I already owned two dogs, two horses, two ferrets, two birds, and a rabbit. Yet again, the evil heat rock struck another lizard down.

Thus, I learned my lesson, one that I am passing on to my children. Yes, I will be getting a snake for my older son when I believe he is old enough. However, prior to that, I have bought him many snake books and he is learning about them constantly. If he doesn't consider 'herpetologist' as a career, then I haven't tried hard enough. ^_^

My advice: When a mother makes up her mind, there's RARELY a chance to change it, especially when it comes to animals. Definitely just stick it out and when you eventually move out, get yourself an awesome snake. Until then, keep learning everything you can about them because some of the advice changes from year to year. Especially as people learn more about captive snakes.

By the way, initially I was going to ask you what type of snake you were getting, because I thought it was entirely possible that it was a size issue. Boas and pythons can seem monstrous to mothers. It might be easier to persuade her with a colorful garter or corn.

-----
Holly

0.1 Lavender California Kingsnake (Lizzie Borden) (missing )
1.0 Florida Kingsnake (Eddie Gein)
0.0.2 Cornsnakes
1.0 Bearded Dragon (Charley Manson)
1.0 Orange Marmalade Cat (Oliver)
1.0 Black Cat (Shadowfax)
1.0 Egyptian Arabian (Bagan) (Deceased )
1.0 Tennessee Walking Horse (Durango)

2.0 Toddlers (Justice & Trevor)

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Awesome opportunity, but... - HydraZulu, Tue May 6 09:07:57 2008

<< Previous Message:  Awesome opportunity, but... - HydraZulu, Sat May 3 20:35:27 2008