return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Trimeresurus constipation problems

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: Chris_Harper2 at Wed May 14 12:24:03 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chris_Harper2 ]  

I was trying to breed so I placed the pair in the rain chamber about three times per week and would often leave them in there for 16 hours or so, or basically whenever I was home.

But what I found was that they defecated or at least passed urates within 10 minutes or less. When I first started putting them in the chamber they would pass urates several times in a day, they were that "backed up".

I think for general health of the animal they would do fine with two, thiry minute sessions per week.

I need to say that this chamber used A LOT of water. I measured how quickly it filled a 5 gallon bucket when I first set it up and calulated the flow and it was pretty bad. I don't remember exactly how bad it's been so long.

For long sessions for breeding it might be best to have a pump with an elaborate filter so you're not using so much water. For getting your snake to defecate just hooking up to a water line would not be so bad.

The nozzle I used looked something like this:

This is not a nozzle you could run off the typical misting system designed for reptiles, which tend to be lower flow and higher pressure, IIRC.

Like I said, I tried a regular misting system for tree vipers and found that the fine mist made them very unsettled and they would often strike randomly. I then tried a garden sprayer and the snakes behaved totall different so I made a rain chamber around that nozzle.

Maybe for now just go get a garden sprayer and try to set it up in your cage, assuming you can keep it safe and completely escape proof. You may have to pump up the pressure often but at least it will give you and idea if it will even work.

Then maybe look at having a cage built around the idea. I would love to do that myself but my venomous keeping days are long gone.
-----
Currently keeping:

5.8 Gonyosoma oxycephala (Javan, mixed colors)

1.1 Philodryas baroni

1.0 Rhodesian Ridgeback

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  The Name Game - dekaybrown, Wed May 14 19:34:55 2008
<< Previous topic:  What do we do WITH ALL THOSE SNAKES? - mvite, Mon May 12 13:17:28 2008