return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Rare Bacteria

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: markg at Tue May 20 12:25:16 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by markg ]  

For sure, disinfect the snake cage(s) completely. You can use a mild bleach solution for now. LLL Reptile sells QuatPlus which kills bacteria (honestly, it smells alot like Windex, and I wouldn't be surprised..). Finally, the Bean Farm sells clorohexadine which I use for snake cages. You dilute it with water. It is safe and kills bacteria.

You would have to speak with your local vet to see what they can do for testing the snakes and then keeping the bacteria at bay. I imagine that a few doses of Flagyl (for the snakes)can take care of a bacteria overload, but the vet can hopefully offer better help than "I imagine." As stated, the source of this bacteria is likley the snakes but may not be.

With safe husbandry techniques, the chances of coming down with an infection from snakes is nil. However, young children are often far more susceptible than adults, in part because they do not wash their hands. The pediatrician recommended with my son waiting until he was 6 before he could handle a captive snake, just to be overly safe, because of the unknowns of captive snakes - i.e. where they were kept before you got them, what other animals were in the same room, were they exposed to non-native tropical snakes, etc.

You know, we put up with gangs and pit bulls sold to anyone and all of that stuff, but when snakes make the news linked with salmonella or something like that, people want all-out bans. That is why I think it is important that we are overprotective when it comes to kids and reptiles in our homes. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. You definitely want to have your child not come in contact with the snakes or cages until you can verify the status of the bacteria being present or not in the snakes.
-----
Mark

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  His first RAT - Yum - dekaybrown, Tue May 20 18:21:40 2008
<< Previous topic:  Heat mat usage - DanW, Sun May 18 22:41:21 2008