return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: That snake..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: DMong at Fri May 30 14:38:35 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

Yeah,.......she's ready to nail ANYTHING that moves in front of her,.....including my lips if I was stupid enough to get them too close!..LOL!

My male has a bigger head in proportion to his body, as you mentioned they sometimes do.

I'm not so sure I'd recommend a Texas Rat, unless you're willing to get "tagged" quite often, as BOTH of mine are pretty darn "ZAPPY"!. But then again, if I held them more often, they might calm down substantially, but who knows.

I'm sure just as in all snakes, there will be individuals that are fairly placid and manageable, but I don't see much of that with mine at all. How you see her in the photo I posted, is how she is 24/7..LOL!

There are LOTS of other Ratsnakes to choose from in the hobby today, so if you want a generally easy-going type, you might not want a Texas, unless of course you handle some first and happen to be lucky enough to run into some calmer individuals. Either that, or are willing to take your bites and gradually tame some down.

As a very generalized rule, the Black Rats would probably tend to be a little less nippy, but I'm sure a percentage of those individuals can be real "devils" as well.....oh well, I guess everything has it's price..LOL!

~Doug
-----
"Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open mouth and remove any doubt!"

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: That snake.. - anuraanman, Sat May 31 11:16:43 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: That snake.. - markg, Fri May 30 13:31:41 2008