return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Walking the pets

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: HappyHillbilly at Wed Jun 4 14:44:42 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HappyHillbilly ]  

I'm glad you didn't take offense to my post. Just try to keep an open mind about it for the sav's sake, not mine or yours.

It's not excessive walks that's bad for it, it's the stress of being handled, period. But I'll not hammer you about it, I think you'll keep these things in the back of your mind because you want to do the right thing.

"I'm sure you have had a big python or two crawling freely in the house before. (Most python fans do at some point)"

I've got & had several pythons, among other snakes & lizards. 40yrs of reptile keeping, but never allowed one to free-roam for anything more than a few minutes of exercise. Boids and varanids are a world apart, especially as far as human interaction goes.

Our homes aren't suitable for free-roaming reptiles. Reptiles do best with a continuos temperature gradient so they can cool off or warm up at free will. Plus, the humidity is too low in most homes, for a lot of reptiles, especially savs. That's why the other sav you mentioned defecated in the tub, it was dehydrated and sought out water. I'm glad to see that you're keeping that sav in an enclosure.

Like you, I've heard both sides of the arguments. The things I've mentioned here in this thread come solely from my personal experimentation. Explore for yourself. These magnificient creatures know what they need and they will tell us. We just have to be able to interpret what they're saying. It's not always easy but it can be done. Become one with your captives, try to think like they do. They don't think like we do.

Take care & I'll see ya around.

Mike
-----
Due to political correctness run amuck,
this ol' hillbilly is now referred to as an:
Appalachian American

www.natures-signature.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Walking the pets - dekaybrown, Wed Jun 4 07:25:44 2008