return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

when males become disinterested...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: mpollard at Wed Nov 12 22:09:18 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mpollard ]  

I've had males that tried to breed females that were blown up like blimps in the throws of ovulation, and then I've had males that breed like they are in the races of their lives to impregnate something, then stop cold before ovulation.

Over the last month or so, I've had a male that has been courting practically 24/7. During the last couple of weeks of his "interested period", I witnessed copulation a half a dozen times. I'm sure there were probably more that went unnoticed, as I was only able to check on them in the mornings before I left for work and in the evenings. However, for the last week or so he has been activley roaming the cage looking for a way out. Just for kicks, I took him out and put him with the female in the cage above the one that he was in and he immediately (agressively!) started courting that female. I took him out and put him back with the original female, and nothing...well...just more trying to get out of the cage. So, I put him back with the second female and he's all over her again.

The original female is nice n' thick, I expect ovulation in the next week or so. What would you do? Assume he's done his job and let him move on to the new female? Put him back with his original mate until she ovulates? He was wearing me out just watching him trying to escape the first cage and get to the female above him. Of course he's put so much effort into the first female, I don't want to risk her not being "fertilized" if she does in fact ovulate. But I can't force him to do her anymore! lol Oh, and I did introduce another male to the first female, and nothing from him either...

Just interested in other's opinions!

Thanks for reading,

Mark
-----
uncommonboa.com

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Anorexiguans - jscrick, Wed Nov 12 22:57:46 2008
<< Previous topic:  More weird BCC popping up - - EricIvins, Wed Nov 12 19:01:47 2008